Friday, April 5, 2013

But You Would Not...

For thus says the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel:
      “In returning and rest you shall be saved;
      In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
           But you would not.... (Isaiah 30:15)

How often this is true of me...faced with difficulties, discouraging things, and disappointments, I, too often, turn to the temporal, shallow and vain things of this world to try and find some peace, satisfaction, and fulfillment.  Then, I find myself sad, and lonely.  I like to bury myself in books, movies, etc.  I don't want to "think" about the things of the day that are worrisome or sad.  Am I alone?  
Jesus offers me rest, a quiet spirit, peace, confidence and strength.  But, too often, I find myself in the last portion of this verse..."But you would not."

What does one do when their life is a disappointment, sad and lonely?  Where do you turn?  I KNOW where to turn...it's all in Christ...He has promised to take me safely through this world and into perfect rest in the next.  So, why is He the last resort?  
I think it's because He, Jesus, is not the easy path...His path to peace requires me to lay down myself...my sad, sorry excuse for a self.  The self that wants glory NOW!  The self that wants fulfillment NOW!  The self that screams out for its way NOW!  Anyone relate?  Following Jesus means the ultimate delayed gratification...all through this life we must constantly choose...there is a constant "y" in the road.  We choose self and temporal things which are passing away, but which provide momentary pleasure, OR, we deny ourselves and choose eternal treasures for LATER which will never pass away...each day, the choice is basically the same...just different details...

No comments: