Sunday, November 1, 2009

With a Grateful Heart...


Psalms 103:1 "Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and forget not all His benefits."


It is that time of year again...the time to reflect on God's great blessings. I am very grateful for many things, but I wanted to especially reflect on an area that I can't always say I appreciated as much as I do now.
When I was a child, growing up here in Kansas City, my life revolved, primarily around three things: my father's family, the Overland Park Church, and Kansas City College and Bible School. On Sundays, we would awaken and get ready for church, accompanied by such music as Rex Bullock, Rudy Atwood, Richard Beckham and others. We loved music! We would eat lunch at home ourselves, or with Kenny and Darlene, my dad's brother or some other family. Then, back to church in the evening. Monday morning would start another week of walking or riding up to "the school." There, we would be privileged to receive an education in a Christian environment. We not only learned the three R's, but we also attended chapel and studied the Bible. I still remember learning I Corinthians 13 in Third grade when my teacher was Arlene McGehee!
On Friday evenings and Saturday evenings, there was sometimes an activity at "the school," such as a 16 millimeter film, a ball game, a concert, or a revival service at the church which adjoined the school campus. We often spent time on the weekends with my dad's family and at other times throughout the week! It wasn't just limited to the weekends. Five of my dad's siblings lived within walking distance of our house for a number of years while I was growing up. We enjoyed many, many hours together at one of our homes and many times in my family's back yard! There are many photos in many photo albums chronicling our wonderful family times!
The church had two revivals each year, and these were times of God's presence drawing near. My family was extremely faithful to these meetings and all other services. We rarely missed a service!
And, I can't forget the friendships I enjoyed as a part of this trio of areas which my life revolved around! These relationships involved not only other students at school, but some of my own cousins! My cousin Kendra and I shared many laughs and secrets through the years!
There were so many other things I could share...the various music groups I was a part of at "the school,"...the field trips...the choir services...the fun times we had in class...on and on I could go...I am so blessed to have such a lovely childhood and growing up years...I am a very blessed woman.
Thank you, Jesus, for parents who desired to bring me up in Your admonition...thank you for those who sacrificed so that I could attend a Christian school from Kindergarten through twelfth grade...thank you for a loving extended family with which I have so many wonderful memories...I am very blessed...thank you for the friendships...thank you for all the great spiritual influences that I was privileged to be immersed in...thank you that I never had to go to public school all those years! I am very blessed...Thank You, Jesus!

No comments: