Thursday, February 1, 2018

A Burning Heart...

Jeremiah, the Prophet said in the book which bears his name, "I will not make mention of Him, nor speak anymore in His name."  But His word was in my heart like a burning fire..."  Jeremiah was weary of the unpopular ministry he had been called to.  He was mocked.  It was his lot to speak of the judgement of God.  He wanted to check out of that assignment and be free from the reactions of his friends and neighbors.  After all, who likes a Jeremiah?  Pretty much, no one.  No one wants to be the one with the bad news all the time.  
But, in spite of the dark emotions he felt, his heart burned with the truth.  He foreshadowed Peter and John in Acts 4:20, who when forbidden to speak of Jesus said, " We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard." (NLT).  Their hearts also burned with the Truth.  The Truth that comes only from God.  

Several weeks ago, I found myself in a very liberal church which was having quite the Christmas concert.   Much expense, many hours of planing and practice, and scores of folks comprised this program.  It was spectacular.  A massive church, glorious stained, glass windows and lots of attendees.  There was only one thing missing.  That true Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The truth that Jesus came into this world to save us.  To pay for the sins we had done and could never pay for in ourselves.  To makes us sons and daughters of God.  To reconcile us to Him forever.  

After leaving this church and driving my friend and I home, my heart burned.  It burned with the Truth.  The Truth of the Gospel of Christ.  I had to speak.  Thankfully, my friend was willing to listen.  

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is glorious!  In John 1:14, 16-17 we have the Gospel encapsulated.  "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth...and of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.  For the law came through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."   

Yes, meeting Christ, the Truth, will cause a burning heart from time to time.  How can we not speak of Him?  He who came to rid us of our fears?  My greatest fear is dying and being apart from Him forever.  But, He has taken the need for that fear away.  Oh, to place ALL of my trust in Him, alone.  Give up all pretense of saving myself.  For He, the Truth, has done it all.  He has triumphed over death, hell, sin and the grave.  He offers me eternal life with Him forever, and His precious presence here through all of life.  Let my heart burn.  Let it burn with the Truth, my Saviour, Jesus Christ.  

No comments: