Sunday, September 4, 2022

Prairie Fires-The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser-Book Review (what I've read so far)

 I grew up with my own set of the Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I've read them numerous times, even reading on them in my adult life.  Several years ago when I was teaching, and had a Christmas break, I enjoyed reading all of the Christmas passages in the books.  There are several, starting with Little House in the Big Woods.  That Christmas was enjoyed with family who lived nearby and Laura received her precious doll, Charlotte.  Among the other Christmas accounts, was the one written about in On the Banks of Plum Creek.  Their church had a Christmas tree adorned with many gifts for the people from people better off back east.  When entering the church that night, Laura saw a beautiful fur cape and muff hanging on one of the branches.  She was so surprised when it was given to her!  

Recently, I found this book written as a Biography of Laura.  I am really enjoying it.  The author seems to be of a more liberal persuasion than am I, but I am still enjoying the history and background of Laura's life.  There is great information about how the Native American's were treated and the Homestead Act which furthered westward expansion of this continent.  It was a very hard life and many farmers failed.  She discusses the grasshopper (locust) plague which Laura wrote about in On the Banks of Plum Creek.  It was devastating for two years in Minnesota and other parts of the Midwest.  

The author, Caroline Fraser, traces the whole path of Laura's family with history of the path her parents took prior to meeting and marrying, and then Laura's entire life.  There is so much American history here, and much to be learned.  I highly recommend it thus far.  

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/prairie-fires-american-dreams-laura-ingalls-wilder/

No comments: