Thursday, August 18, 2022

Homemaking...Duty or Delight?

 It doesn't seem real glamorous to scrub a toilet, wash dirty underwear or clean the kitchen floor, does it? I agree that it seems insignificant in the whole scheme of life, but I have a suggestion.  We CAN see these and other homemaking tasks as VERY significant and even do them for the glory of God.  Just this morning, I read this passage in the Bible; 

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  (I Cor 10:31)

As we do our housekeeping tasks, as we clean, cook, iron, scrub, bake, mend, do laundry, decorate, etc, we CAN do it for a high and holy purpose, the glory of God, Himself.  As old fashioned as it sounds, I do believe that God gifted women for these tasks.  Not to demean us, but as part of our design to be a helpmeet to our husbands and as already discussed, for the glory of God, Himself, the One who created us and gave us this design.  If we can grasp this reality, it can be transformative.  

If you are single as I was for 50 years, you may wonder how you fit in here.  I believe that you do.  You are still a woman, and most likely, you still have to work a job to support yourself.  But, that by no means lets you off the hook.  You can set aside time each weak to make your home a pleasant place to relax in for yourself and others.  You can take time to cook healthy food.  You can keep your laundry caught up.  You can do what I did as a single woman.  I hosted a Ladies' Bible study several years ago in my home.  I really enjoyed preparing for it and opening my home for others.  At our last meeting, we all pitched in for a Mexican meal together.  It was a blessed time.  By being a homemaker even while single, I had a place where others could gather.  

Now, I'm married and I spend much of my free time outside of work, being a homemaker.  That is my dream job and I hope the day will come when I can do it even more.

How can you make your home today a more peaceful, orderly and lovely place?

No comments: