Sunday, August 10, 2014

Suffering

Suffering...not a word that normally gives me or anyone else warm fuzzies.  As American's, our suffering is quite different than that of someone in a country such as China where they have forced abortions and limited religious freedom.  I'm very thankful I live here, where we at least have some freedom left.
I recently went through a trial of sorts that few knew about.  It was a very familiar trial...something I have struggled with my entire adult life...it has to do with the single state I have been in, having never been married.  Being single was not in my life plan.  I valued marriage early in life as I was taught early it was a one shot deal.  So, I'd rather be single than have married the wrong person and be regretting that.  
But, I've always wanted to be married.  In my late 30's as the biological clock screamed it's head off at me, I had a talk with the Lord...actually, it was probably a series of talks over a period of time, and I told Him that it was okay.  If I never married, I would be fine.  And, I do feel that way today.  It has not always been the case.  I used to think that I could not handle life unmarried.  I'm grateful for God's grace which has made a difference in that part of my life.
So, back to my recent trial...yes, it had to do with a man...keeping it vague for obvious reasons...but, we spent a lovely day together...he treated me with great respect and was a gentleman.  So, what is the trial?  Well, there's no future in this relationship as we don't share a Christian view on the world and life.  This is a non negotiable for me.  So, it was hard.  Hard to come home and face that reality.  It was suffering.  It was painful.  It was for my good.  The Bible gives me great hope for my suffering!  Here is help...In 2 Corinthians 1:5 we read, "For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.
So, I know that my suffering has purpose!!!  It's not a meaningless part of life as an evolutionist might think, but, instead, it is an opportunity to find help in Jesus!  Christ allows me to suffer so that I will run to Him.  He helped me to do that after I got home. My heart hurt so bad.  I was struggling to focus and get back into the swing of life.  He lead me to a book I've had for years which addressed this subject.  Through reading it, He spoke.  He reminded me of truths I needed to remember.  
Here's another scripture which I love!  Romans 8:18, For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.  Wow!  These sufferings are so light.  So temporal.  In heaven someday, I won't be sorry I chose the right thing.  The glory I will know by the grace of God will make my singleness here on earth as NOTHING.  
And, one more.  Philippians 3:10, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death..  In order to really know Christ fully, I. Must. Suffer.  Sad but true.  He suffered for me to purchase my salvation.  The least I can do, is suffer for Him.

I love the words of this beautiful gospel song...The End of the Way.
"When the last, feeble step has been taken,
And the gates of that city appear,
And the beautiful songs of the angels
Float out on my listening ear;
When all that now seems so mysterious
Will be bright and as clear as the day,
Then the toils of the road will seem nothing,
When I get to the end of the way."  Charles Tillman





No comments: