Monday, August 18, 2008

Dealing with Life's Disappointments


Hello, everyone,
It is a beautiful day here in Overland Park, KS. Our weather has been so lovely lately. I'm not working today, so I have been puttering around here. Haven't gotten as much done today as I wanted to. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and I'll be back to work.
Have you ever been disappointed? We all have. I have just recently been going through a disappointing situation in my own life. How do we deal with that? A friend of mine pointed out a passage in one of the books that I have listed in my favorites section, "Classic Christianity" by Bob George. In the following quote from this book, Mr. George is speaking of the necessity of the Christian to live out Romans 12:1-2 in his life. This is the passage where Paul exhorts us to present our bodies as a living sacrifice completely to God, so that we may be transformed by God's power. Mr. George is saying that we must surrender all of our rights in this life to God and then live with a thankful spirit. "One of the most fundamental things that we are surrendering to Christ is all claim to personal rights...I'm talking about things we tend to demand from life-things like a right to happiness, the right to be noticed, the right for life to be fair, the right to be appreciated, the right to get my own way. There's a very simple reason why this must be so: You can't hold on to rights and maintain a thankful spirit at the same time. The essence of a life of faith is a thankful heart."
Whoa! I have no rights! That is exactly right. I have no rights. I must give them all to Jesus. When I do that, I am free from being disappointed when I don't get my way! When I do receive gifts, I can be thankful for these "extra things." This is a hard teaching, but one we must seek to embrace.
I would like to hear any of your thoughts on this subject. Write and tell me how you have been learning to live this out in your own life.



No comments: